Lebanese Lamb and Rice Stuffing (Hashweh)
- 2 cups rice rinsed and drained
- 1 lb ground beef or lamb 450 grams
- 2 cups beef broth or lamb broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup almonds blanched, peeled and silvered
- salt and pepper to taste
- raisins as garnish
- Soak the rice in cold water for 15 minutes or until the rice grain breaks.
- When ready, drain well.
- Now in a cooking pot, combine the ground beef, cinnamon powder, salt, nutmeg, allspice and cook over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in another pan heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and fry the pine nuts and almonds, then set it aside.
- Now top the beef with rice and season the rice with the salt stirring it constantly for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the beef broth (or lamb broth) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid and simmer it.
- Continue to cook with the lid on until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, for about 30 minutes. Note: Add ¼ cup of water if necessary.
- Now place a large serving platter on the opening of the rice pot and carefully flip the pot content on to the platter so that the meat layer now tops the rice.
- Garnish it with roasted pine nuts, almonds, and raisins before serving.