This Panzanella Salad recipe, a classic Italian bread, parmesan, and tomato salad, manages to be fresh and wonderful as a summer salad but is still hearty.
- 1 1/4 pound large ripe red tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt optional
- 5 ounces Italian bread
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 6-7 leaves basil plus extra for garnish, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese shaved slices (not grated)
- fresh black pepper
- Roughly chop the tomatoes into 3/4-inch pieces and put them in a non-metallic bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt (if desired) and allow them to sit for an hour.
- Tear the bread into rough bite-size chunks.
- Squash the tomatoes with your hands, discard liquid and then toss with bread, onion, basil, vinegar and olive oil. Season with pepper and salt (if desired) to taste. Garnish top with extra basil leaves.
- Serve with generous portion of parmesan cheese shavings over top. Best served immediately.
Adapted from: Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice