Umami Portobello Mushroom Burger
Blue cheese and slow-cooked onions in this recipe turn a grilled portobello into an indulgent Portobello Mushroom Burger.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms stems removed
- 3 cups red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper divided
- 1/2 cup blue cheese 2 ounces, crumbled
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 slices thick tomato
- Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and garlic in a bowl. Brush the mixture all over mushrooms and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is browned and very soft, about 15 minutes. Add port; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly evaporated, about 3 minutes more. Stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Grill, gill-side down, for 5 minutes. Turnover and top each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Grill until the mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Toast buns. Divide the onions among the mushrooms. Serve (cheese-side up) on buns with arugula and tomato.
Ruby port -- a sweet wine -- gives extra depth of flavor to the caramelized onions. Recipe courtesy of EatingWell.com “Recipes for Umami Foods”