Thai Beef Salad
This Thai Beef Salad is a meal in itself, made with thinly sliced chuck steak and alluring chili peppers, fish sauce, and umami seasoning.
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass cut into 2 pieces
- salt to taste
- 1/2 pound honeycomb tripe
- 1/2 pound chuck steak thinly sliced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon ground toasted rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili peppers optional
- 1 Thai chili pepper thinly sliced optional
- 1/4 teaspoon MSG (umami seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves thinly sliced
- lettuce for serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Add the lemongrass to the water and season with salt. Add the tripe and boil for about 1 hour or until tripe is tender. Remove from water and set aside.
Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook the steak in pan until slightly pink, then remove to a bowl.
Thinly slice the cooked tripe into 2-inch strips and place in a bowl with the steak. Season the meat mixture with lime, toasted rice, ground chili pepper, sliced chili, MSG and fish sauce and stir to combine. Taste and season with more lime juice or fish sauce as needed. Add the cilantro and green onions and mix well.
Plate over bed of lettuce leaves, sprinkle with the mint and serve.
Recipe courtesy of The Today Show (NBC-TV, USA)
Photo credit: Nathan Congleton / TODAY
For a variation of this recipe, try Thai Basil Beef with Rice (video courtesy of World Umami Recipes by Ajinomoto Co., Inc.).